What to Know about Pet Insurance in NC
Just like the other members of our family, pets are a very integral part of our family too. And as pet owners, we want to be sure that in case of an unexpected injury or illness, our pet gets the best possible medical care. However, today, with the rising vet care costs, it becomes quite difficult for most people to pay for the treatment their pet needs in the event of any emergency.
In such times, pet insurance NC is an excellent solution that allows pet owners living in North Carolina to provide medical treatment for unexpected illnesses, injuries, surgeries, etc. and also provide good healthcare for their pet.
So, if you have a pet at home, be it a cat, dog or any other exotic animal, you can get customized pet insurance in NC to protect them. Having pet health insurance can give you complete peace of mind, knowing that your pet is covered in the event of any situation.
Pet Insurance Costs
Pet insurance (in NC) costs are based on the breed and age of your pet and the area where you live. Here are some examples of pet insurance costs for a mixed breed dog that is 3 years old. In North Carolina, the average 12-month pet insurance is around $600 per year or $50 per month and here is a city-wise list of average insurance costs in NC.
- Charlotte: $55 per month
- Durham: $55 per month
- Greensboro: $44 per month
- Raleigh: $55 per month
- Winston-Salem: $44 per month
What Does Pet Insurance NC Cover?
Pet insurance NC covers vet care costs related to illnesses, accidents, and injuries. There are 3 types of policies:
- Accident-Only Policy: These cover injuries that cover accidents such as your pet swallowing some poisonous substance or being hit by a vehicle.
- Accident and Illness Policy: These cover accidents, as well as other illnesses including infections, cancers, etc.
- Insurance and Wellness Policy: These combine both illnesses as well as accident coverage along with preventive services costs like dental care, vaccinations, prevention of heartworm, etc. These may also cover expenses for cremation and burial.
Top-Rated Insurance for Dogs and Cats in NC
If you’re looking for the best pet insurance that offers access to high-quality pet care at affordable rates in North Carolina, then we have shortlisted some of the top pet insurance providers and briefly reviewed them for you.
This is among the most popular pet insurance companies. With a BBB rating of A+, Healthy Paws insurance is underwritten by the Chubb Group. The coverage offered is comprehensive and the payouts are unlimited. The insurance policy covers any condition that is not pre-existing or accident and it also covers congenital or hereditary conditions. Healthy Paws also offers coverage for alternative therapies, hydrotherapy, chiropractic services and physical therapy.
- Reimbursement Levels: 90%, 80% and 70% after meeting the deductible
- Average Monthly Premium: $33 for dogs and $17 for cats
- Unlimited lifetime benefits
- Annual deductible
- Healthy Paws mobile app
- Online claim
Part of the Tech Hub Network of Google, Figo began offering pet insurance in 2012 and is rated A+ by the BBB. The policies of Figo are underwritten by Markel American Insurance Company. Figo offers 3 coverage levels. The lowest plan offers illness and accident coverage; however, they also provide coverage for vet examination fees, alternative therapies, etc. The highest-level plan allows you to find your pet if it gets lost.
- Coverage: $10,000 to $40,000 to unlimited (depending on the policy)
- Annual Deductible: From $50 to $500
- Reimbursement Rate: 70% to 90% (100% option available)
- Reimbursement on invoice
- Paperless claim
- Pet Cloud mobile app
- Average Monthly Premium: $49 for dogs and $29 for cats
Earlier known as VPI Pet Insurance, Nationwide Pet Insurance is one of the largest pet insurance providers that offer pet insurance for cats, dogs and even birds. The company has an A+ BBB rating. Nationwide offers 2 plans i.e., Major Medical Plan and Whole Pet with Wellness Plan, which is a comprehensive policy that covers everything including visits to the vet, diagnostic plans, etc.
- Whole Pet Plan: Unlimited benefits
- Annual Deductible Amount: $250
- Reimbursement: Up to 90%
- Online claim or by fax
- Average Monthly Premium (Whole Pet with Wellness Plan): $59 for dogs and $31 for cats
- Average Monthly Premium (Major Medical Plan): $35 for dogs and $19 for cats
If you are looking for pet insurance with good customer service, then Embrace Pet Insurance is the best option for you. This is a popular choice and has a BBB rating of A+. Embrace offers a standard plan that includes coverage for illnesses and accidents and it also offers coverage for behavioral therapy, alternative therapy, and prosthetic limbs. Embrace also offers a pet Wellness plan and a plan that covers prescription drugs; however, these plans cost more.
- Annual Benefits: Starting at $5,000 – $30,000 (for online enrollment), unlimited for phone enrollment
- Deductible Options: From $200, $300, $500, $750 and $1,000 per annum
- Reimbursement Levels: From 70% to 90%
- Mobile app available for Android and iOS
- Online claim
- Average Monthly Premium: $12.95 for dogs and $8.95 for cats
PetPlan Insurance for pets has a BBB A+ rating and their policies are underwritten by the AGCS Marine Insurance Co. Since 2009, the company has been offering various pet insurance plans in the US. PetPlan offers comprehensive insurance coverage for your pet including illness and accident without any restrictions for congenital or hereditary conditions. The coverage includes costs of advanced testing, hospital stays, non-routine vet exams, periodontal diseases and dental injury.
- Unlimited coverage
- Annual Benefit Limits: from $2,500 to $25,000, unlimited on the most expensive plan
- Deductible: Annual or per condition
- Deductible Amounts: From $100 to $2,500 (in increments of $50)
- Reimbursement: 70%, 80%, or 90%
- Reimbursement Timeframe: 30 days
- Mobile app
- Average Monthly Premium: $29 for dogs and $18 for cats
- Discounts Offered: Military personnel, online registration and medical service pets
When you’re shopping for pet insurance NC, it is important to do thorough research before deciding on which insurance works the best for your pet’s requirements and also fits your budget.
Get a Quote