Today many people consider this system of buried fences to be one of the objects that do not offer great luxury. However, here it is necessary to consider that a large amount of money is not required to obtain a reliable system.
The merger between Petsafe and Innotek for several years has provided excellent results. So, here you will have all the necessary information to optimize the use of this basic system of buried fences. Even the manufacturer provides a customer service department to resolve any questions or issues.
Innotek SD 2000 Basic In-Ground Pet Fencing System Review
- Environmental protection - wires buried in the ground, do not occupy space, do not affect the appearance, give the dog more freedom.
- Progressive tonal stimulation - when the dog approaches the boundary, it first gives a warning sound. If it continues to approach, the system will have a slight impact.
- Pulse proportional stimulation is a high-tech human design. The vibration intensity depends on the distance between the dog and the boundary line. The closer the dog is to the boundary line, the greater the vibration intensity.
- Built in speed detector - the faster the dog moves, the higher the intensity level.Wide control range, can adjust the transmitter knob size, easy to operate
- If the buried wire is damaged, the wire damage indicator will give a loud warning and flash.
In this case, we can mention that Petsafe is one of the brands that offer reliable results due to its 25 years of experience. This manufacturer can offer a large number of products for various types of pets instead of just dogs. Below, we can mention the advantages that this system can offer.
What are the advantages of SD 2000?
- You will be able to have a progressive training and correction of your dog’s behavior instead of just a beep.
- The functionality of this system ensures that the static correction will not be received by your dog for more than 60 seconds.
- It is an excellent system for dogs weighing 10 pounds or more.
- If you have an additional wire you have the possibility of covering up to 5 acres.
- In the case of wire breakage, there is a visual alarm.
- If you have a receiver collar for each dog, then this system is compatible with an unlimited number of dogs.
- As we have mentioned, the customer service department is of a high standard.
In combination with this, it is necessary to mention that the manufacturer provides a one-year warranty. So you will not have to worry about labor errors or defects of any of the materials in this system.
You even need only a small amount of money in case of the replacement of spare parts. Considering the retail price you will be able to get these parts for a fraction of the price. Also, each replacement part has free shipping and a 90-day warranty.
Although you may need some additional tools, the truth is that this system provides you with all the necessary elements. That’s why here you will get:
- Receiver collar with battery type RFA-18
- Transmitter with power adapter
- Test Light Tool
- 50 limit flags
- 500 feet of the boundary wire
- Two mounting screws
- Two waterproof splice capsules
- Training manual and DVD
- Operation guide
What are the first impressions of the Innotek entry?
To efficiently determine the result, you will obtain it will be necessary to determine what your real needs are. So this system can provide you with good features as well as some bad ones.
Beyond that, it is necessary to consider that the cost of this fence system is very affordable. In combination with that, the functionality of this product is also highly reliable despite its cheap cost. Here you do not get all the whistles and bells that other options offer.
Besides, two obvious disadvantages are the lack of low battery warning and the inclusion of only one level of static correction. However, it is possible to obtain excellent results without the features of the more expensive options on the market. The most important thing is that you have a safe and reliable operation.
Pros And Cons
Here it is fair to mention that all people are very satisfied after they have used a subway fence of this type. So this increases the chances that you get a system with a balanced cost/benefit ratio. In other words, you will get excellent advantages for the money you need for this system.
- Excellent level of adaptability to the dimensions of a garden due to the size and shape
- A very affordable system with very reliable operation
- Here we obtain a highly defined and contained perimeter
- This system can be adapted with an unlimited number of dogs
- Efficient to increase prevention
- Good level of over-stimulation prevention
- A non-patented battery is required for each receiver collar
- Once again high-quality customer service
- A static correction level has been included here
- Low battery warning is not included throughout the system
- Somewhat inadequate system to correct the most stubborn dogs
- Each necklace is non-rechargeable
Generally speaking, we can mention that this subway fence system is highly efficient according to the money you are paying. You will be able to provide excellent prevention and protection for your dog, which will be very safe in the garden.
Installation and Configuration Procedure
If you want to enjoy all the advantages of this fence system you will need to perform the installation. It takes between one and two days to complete the entire procedure.
Here it is necessary to take into account that the installation requires effort, patience, and of course time. As the containment area is larger or the yard design more intricate the time you need will be longer.
Even compared to other fence systems this particular model has an intermediate level of difficulty. Therefore, the difficulty of this product in the installation is not an advantage or a disadvantage.
Beyond that, you will have a perfect containment area that can be adapted to the shape and size of your garden. So you will be able to sleep every night with excellent confidence and safety. This subway fence system will do all the work for you, keeping your pets protected.
One of the most important aspects of this procedure is the configuration of the transmitter included in this system. This is important since it is one of the main pieces for you to obtain excellent results.
You will notice that this transmitter is combined with the fence on the ground. In turn, it is a component with a compact design, lightweight, and very simple to use by any user. So here you will not find major drawbacks.
Here is also included a light that indicates the ignition of this component. It is also necessary to consider that an on/off switch has not been included. So, this system will turn on when you plug in the transmitter. In turn, the indicator light that will turn on will alert you:
- That the system is turned on and is in operation
- That the imitator cable is unbroken
In principle, this indicator light provides important information that you should check at all times. Of course, this light indicates whether the system is running and power. However, you will also be able to find out if there is any breakage that prevents the proper functioning of this system.
Once this light has been left on, then it is time to set up a control. Here you must configure the field width setting. In other words, this configuration allows you to adjust how far the dog can go without hearing the warning beep.
In this system, you will have a field width adjustment range that goes from 12 feet to a couple of feet. This is the only aspect that you will have to configure, so it is not very difficult to learn. The rest of the installation of this system requires more patience than learning. So you will not encounter any major inconvenience in this regard.
What Do You Need To Know About This Innotek Receiver Collar?
In this case, we are talking about a receiver collar that resists water efficiently. Here the weight of this accessory is 3.7 ounces and fits neck sizes between 8 inches and 21 inches. This collar also has a receiver unit that measures 2.0 inches x 1.5 inches x 1.25 inches.
For all those dogs that weigh less than 10 pounds, this collar might be too heavy. Of course, the manufacturer indicates that dogs starting from 5 pounds can use this receiver collar. However, in the opinion of a large number of people, it is more convenient for dogs weighing 10 pounds and up to use this receiver collar.
In this sense, there is a different system that is designed for dogs up to 5 pounds. Also, this special system for small dogs offers a receiver collar with a smaller receiver unit and a total weight of 2.5 ounces.
Like the main transmitter, each collar does not have an on/off switch. You will need to install a non-patented 6v battery and the collar will start working. This type of battery is quite common and is often used for some cameras.
As mentioned by users who have used this system the battery could provide 2 to 3 months of use. On the contrary, the manufacturer also assured that the battery could last between 5 and 6 months. So, here it would be convenient to expect a usage of each battery not exceeding 3 months.
It should also be mentioned here that a level of static correction is included that is designed for the average dog. Of course, maximum functionality is not achieved here and that is why the manufacturer has made it a progressive correction. Here, the static correction will be stronger and stronger as the dog gets closer and closer to the wire.
That’s why this receiver collar can adapt to different breeds and dog behaviors. On the other hand, the lack of a low battery indicator could be a drawback in some cases. Some users recommend checking the receiver collar at least once a week. In this way, you will prevent your dog from using a receiver collar that does not work.
Additionally, this receiver collar is made of durable, high strength nylon. Therefore, wear and tear on the receiver unit or collar is at a very low level. Also, the rest of the collar has different stainless steel contact points of ½ inch.
This way, you can avoid the problem of the long and thick coat of your dog. Finally, you will be able to change the tips using the tool kit that includes a set of ¾ inch teeth.
Additional Important Safety Aspects:
Run through prevention: In this case, it refers to the feature of progressive static correction. Your dog will not receive the maximum level of the static correction unless he comes completely close to the containment area.
Protection against over-stimulation: In this case, the dog will not receive the static correction for more than 60 seconds.
1) PetSafe cable and flag kit – PIG00-13769
- COVERS 1/3 ACRE: Kit comes with everything you need to expand your in-ground pet fence including wire, boundary flags, splice capsules and wire connectors
- INSULATED COPPER WIRE: Includes 500-feet of solid 20-gauge insulated copper wire rated for underground use
- BOUNDARY FLAGS: 50 boundary flags are included to help your dog learn his new boundary area
- TWO SPLICE KITS: 2 gel-filled capsules and 2 wire connectors are included for above- and below-ground wire connections
- U.S.-BASED CUSTOMER CARE: Let our pet product experts help; we’re available Monday through Saturday to answer your questions at PetSafe
Included here is a discharge kit with 20 gauge wire and a 500-feet extension. This can be useful for covering a large area such as an acre ⅓. Along with this, the flag and wire kit allows you to expand this area by one acre.
Recommendation: You should consider upgrading to a heavier 14g or 16g cable. This is especially true because the cable included in this kit could break. After all, it is somewhat thin. Below, we have developed a table that lists the amount of cable needed by acre.
2) Dog Fence Clip
- Extreme Dog Fence Brand Dog Fence Staples
- Semi-Flexible Steel NOT GALVANIZED - These will rust and are designed to hold down dog fence wire
- Great for pinning, staking and many other uses!
- 900 Steel Extreme Dog Fence Brand
In this case, it is an excellent complement for securing the boundary wire at all times. This element is used to secure a traditional fence on the ground or in the field.
3) PetSafe Boundary Flags – RFA-2
- Use the 50 boundary flags to provide a visual reference when training your pet to learn the boundary
- Place the boundary flag in the ground every 10 feet near the warning zone
- When you are satisfied that your pet has mastered training, you may remove every other boundary flag every 4 days until all flags are removed
- Save boundary flags for future use
- U.S.-BASED CUSTOMER CARE: Our pet product experts are here to help you and your pet and are available by phone, email or chat if you have any questions
In this case, you will be able to cover 3 4 acres in the training procedure with the 50 flags included here. If the containment area is larger than they are then you will need a larger number of flags.
4) PetSafe Surge Protector – LP-4100
- Designed to protect your In-Ground Fence from surges or spikes that can reach it via your AC power connection and/or your buried boundary wire
- The Surge Protector must be plugged into a grounded (3-prong) outlet that is within 5 feet of the Fence Transmitter
- Do not install device if there is not at least 30 feet (10 meters) or more of wire between the electrical outlet and the electrical service panel (breaker box/fuse panel).
- Call, chat or email with our expert PetSafe US-based customer care specialists six days a week; They are waiting to assist you and your pet with your product needs
- PetSafe brand has been an industry leading US manufacturer of pet behavior, containment and lifestyle products since 1991, helping millions of people and pets each year
When there are voltage surges due to lightning, this element protects the transmitter. It is highly recommended if you live in an area of constant thunderstorms and lightning.
5) PetSafe Collar Accessory Pack – RFA-529
- Contains replacement components for most PetSafe In-Ground and Wireless Fences (excluding Stay & Play, Free to Roam, UltraSmart In-Ground and YardMax)
- Includes long and short (standard) contact points
- Protective clear caps help to keep water and debris out of the correction level adjustment button
- QUALITY PROMISE: PetSafe brand has been a trusted global leader in pet behavior, containment and lifestyle innovations since 1998 to help keep your pet healthy, safe and happy
In case you need to replace any part of a dog’s receiver collar, you will find everything you need here. It might be useful to have this package to avoid a lack of protection at all times.
6) PetSafe Wire Breakage Locator – RFA-450
- The wire break locator is designed to find complete breaks in your boundary wire. It is not designed to detect partial wire breaks
- Use the wire break locator if there is a wire break indication on your Fence Transmitter
- Includes wire break location transmitter, 12 VAC adapter, Receiver with expandable handle, 50 ft. boundary wire, 2- grounding stakes, 4 gel-filled capsules, 4 wire nuts, 2 cable ties and operating guide
- Wire breaks in the boundary wire are commonly found in aerated lawns, where the wires cross sidewalks or driveways due to edging; around landscaping and flower beds due to digging
- For proper electrical grounding , the earth must be wet. Several gallons of water may need to be poured around the grounding stakes to moisten dry earth.Works up to 10 acres. (It may work beyond 10 acres, but the tone will get weak and inaudible)
If you use this kit it will be much easier to find a possible break in a containment cable. Otherwise, many users have claimed that without this kit you could make a somewhat difficult and frustrating task.
In short, you can count on excellent success in training your dogs with the help of the SD – 2000 system. Of course, they could get the expected results if you do not learn to use this fence system efficiently. In a short time, you will notice that your dog’s behavior is different and more efficient.
Related Fence and Collars:
- Dog Expedition TC1
- Garmin Delta XC Review
- Sit Boo-Boo Dog Fence
- Havahart Wireless Dog Fence
- Innotek SD 2100 Dog Collar